Herbert Lewin was the candidate of the Peace & Freedom Party in the 1988 presidential election.

But he won only 10,370 votes nationwide.

Mr. Lewin might have gained more national attention 40 years earlier, when the Westinghouse plant in Tinicum, Delaware County, suspended him and a colleague after the Navy branded them security risks.

The resulting 26-hour sit-down and strike on July 12 and 13, 1948, idled the plant's 6,500 production workers, The Inquirer reported. But Mr. Lewin was quickly reinstated, and for more than two decades continued as a union activist.

On March 18, Mr. Lewin, 95, died of heart failure at the Unitarian Universalist House in Germantown.

The 1988 presidential run was not Mr. Lewin's only taste of politics. In 1958, the resident of Secane, Delaware County, was the candidate for governor of the Workers Party, formerly known as the Militant Workers Party.

The Inquirer's archives contain no coverage of those campaigns, but the 1948 strike certainly put him at the top of the local news of the day.

It also earned Mr. Lewin and his colleague a few pages in Them and Us: Struggles of a Rank-And-File Union, a 1974 history of the United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America (UE).

In 1948, The Inquirer reported that Mr. Lewin, a sheet metal worker, and Frank Carner, a structural engineer, who were "employed in the gas turbine division, were regarded by the Navy Department as 'poor security risks' and were ordered barred from the Westinghouse plant areas used for Navy contract work."

Officials of Local 107 of the UE called the sit-down that became a walkout, a strike.

They warned that putting the two on extended leaves of absence with no evidence to support the allegation "is the beginning of a blacklist from employment that would expose every worker to the same kind of treatment."

Blacklist would become a familiar word in those years.

Two years earlier, he had earned a place in UE legend.

Robert L. Kyler, 87, worked with him at Westinghouse before Mr. Kyler became president of the UE local, then an international vice president of the union and later a federal mediator in Philadelphia.

In 1946, the UE called a nationwide strike, and the Westinghouse plant here shut down. But when the GE plant did not close, Westinghouse workers staged a demonstration there, on Elmwood Avenue near 69th Street.

"I wasn't there," Kyler said. "But everybody told me about it.

"There were cops there on horses, and our guys dropped ball bearings, and the horses were slipping over the ball bearings."

The legend about Mr. Lewin, Kyler said, is that the police "were able to single him out and went after him."

Asked whether Mr. Lewin required hospital care, Kyler said, "I don't think so."

Kyler identified Mr. Lewin as the man lying on the ground with police surrounding him in a photo reproduction on the cover of Labor's Untold Story (1955) by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morais.

Mr. Lewin is not named in that book and the 1946 incident is not in The Inquirer archives nor mentioned in the union history, Them and Us.

But Kyler said Mr. Lewin told him about the incident "many, many times."

The photo, which lacks attribution in the book, "went all around the world," he said.

Mr. Lewin came early to his radical politics.

Born in Port Chester, N.Y., he studied at the New York State Forestry College at Syracuse University, where he became an activist with the Young Socialist League and left college after three years.

When he was 80, Mr. Lewin's second wife, Pauline, wrote a biographical sketch.

She wrote that in the late 1930s, he was among the Trotskyists who founded the Socialist Workers Party and that in June 1939 he and his first wife, Marie, had a child.

"Herb was in jail for a six-month sentence" when their daughter was born, Pauline wrote, "because he refused to give evidence" about a 1937 strike.

In 1939, she wrote, "he began work at a General Motors parts plant in Syracuse," where he organized a United Auto Workers local.

In 1942, the Socialist Workers Party moved him to Buffalo to work in aircraft plants and "help in the building of the unions and [the] party."

After his first marriage broke up, he and Pauline moved to the Philadelphia area, and he became a machinist at the Westinghouse plant.

During almost 30 years at Westinghouse, his wife wrote, he remained a union activist.

At one point, she wrote, he "encouraged the African American members to form a caucus and worked with them on the Fair Employment Practices Committee, which forced Westinghouse to hire more African Americans."

Herbert and Pauline's son, David, said that after leaving Westinghouse in the 1970s, Mr. Lewin taught until 1984 at W.B. Saul High School in Roxborough and volunteered at Morris Arboretum in Chestnut Hill into the 1990s.

Besides his wife, Pauline, and son, David, Mr. Lewin is survived by a daughter, Maxine; a brother; a sister; and four grandchildren. He was predeceased by his first wife, Marie.