By Melanie Kirkpatrick
Test your knowledge of the original Thanksgiving and subsequent observances.
1. Ninety Indian men attended the First Thanksgiving in Plymouth, Mass., in 1621. What was the name of their tribal confederation?
2. Eighteen Pilgrim wives sailed on the Mayflower. How many survived until the time of the First Thanksgiving?
3. What food did the Indians contribute to the First Thanksgiving?
4. In 1926 President Calvin Coolidge received from Mississippi a gift of a live animal with a "toothsome flavor" intended for his Thanksgiving dinner. What was the animal?
5. Name the "godmother of Thanksgiving," a 19th-century editor who campaigned for decades in support of a national day of thanks.
a. Harriet Beecher Stowe
b. Sarah Josepha Hale
c. Louisa May Alcott
d. Lydia Marie Child
6. Which college teams faced off in the first Thanksgiving football game in the 1870s?
a. Harvard vs. Dartmouth
b. Princeton vs. Rutgers
c. Princeton vs. Yale
d. Columbia vs. Harvard
ANSWERS: 1-a, 2-d, 3-b, 4-d, 5-b, 6-c