NEW YORK - The Flyers, their injury list growing, registered their first two-game winning streak in five weeks, thanks to an impressive victory Saturday afternoon - at Madison Square Garden, of all places.

Linemates Wayne Simmonds and Sean Couturier broke long scoring droughts as the Flyers defeated the New York Rangers, 3-0, and collected their first regular-season win at the Garden in their last 11 games, dating back to Feb. 20, 2011.

"We were the hungrier team out there," goalie Steve Mason said after notching his first shutout of the season and first of his career against the Rangers.

After the Rangers controlled a scoreless first period, the Flyers outshot the Blueshirts, 30-14, the rest of the way.

"We got a ton of opportunities, and it was nice to see pucks going in the net for us," said Simmonds, who added an empty-net goal with 49.3 seconds left to seal the Rangers' third consecutive defeat. "Today was a huge stepping-stone for us."

Mason kept the game scoreless with an outstanding 10-save first period, and he finished with 24 saves.

"It feels good. It was an entire team effort," Mason said.

Despite having a defense that was depleted by a first-period injury to Nick Schultz and a string of penalties to Luke Schenn, the Flyers allowed the Rangers few quality scoring chances after the first period.

"Our D-zone was solid," Mason said.

Couturier scored on a rebound of a Simmonds shot, giving the Flyers a 2-0 lead with 16 minutes, 54 seconds left in the third period. It was his first goal in his last 13 games and just his second of the season.

They took the lead when Simmonds, sent in alone by Matt Read's perfect pass, scored on a breakaway, going upstairs with a forehand shot against backup goalie Antti Raanta with 7:36 to go in the second.

It was Simmonds' first point (and goal) in seven games and Read's first point in 10 games. Simmonds finished with three points, the 11th time in his career he has had at least that many in a game.

The Flyers (9-10-5), coming off a 3-2 overtime win over Nashville, hadn't won two straight since they defeated Boston and the Rangers on Oct. 21 and 24, respectively.

Playing their seventh game in 12 days, the Flyers had just four first-period shots.

The Flyers owned the second period, outshooting the Rangers, 18-7, but Raanta kept the hosts within striking distance.

"They took it to us the whole second period," Rangers forward Rick Nash said.

The Read-Couturier-Simmonds line, which has been in a season-long slump, scored all three goals and put pressure on Raanta the entire game, combining for 11 of the team's 34 shots.

"Lately, we've had tons of chances, and we were finally able to capitalize," Couturier said.

Schultz was leveled on an open-ice hit by Dylan McIlrath midway through the first period. Schultz appeared woozy. He got up, fell down, and stayed on his knees and watched Schenn go after McIlrath, who decisioned the Flyers defenseman.

"Luke did what a good teammate would do, and I give him a lot of credit for that, and the rest of the guys battled hard for each other," coach Dave Hakstol said.

The Flyers, who got strong performances from defensemen Evgeny Medvedev and Michael Del Zotto, are 2-0 against the Rangers (16-6-2) this season. They defeated the Blueshirts, 3-2, in an Oct. 24 shootout at the Wells Fargo Center. The Flyers have won three straight over New York for the first time since 2011.