Police say six rings reported stolen by former University of Wisconsin and NFL running back Ron Dayne have been returned to him in a plastic bag.
Madison Police Lt. Jennifer Krueger Favour said Dayne, a native of Berlin, N.J., had reported the rings stolen from home in Waunakee, Wis. She said they were returned anonymously in a plastic bag yesterday to Dayne's apartment in nearby Madison.
Krueger Favour did not describe what the rings were and Dayne did not return a message.
Dayne reported in April that his two Rose Bowl rings and about $100,000 worth of jewelry and other items were stolen from his Waunakee home. Last month, he reported a burglary of about $50,000 in jewelry and other items from the Madison apartment, including a diamond bracelet commemorating his 1999 Heisman Trophy win.
* Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player combined to raise just over $15.1 million at an event titled the "Big 3 for Mountain Mission Kids" in Bristol, Va. It was the single biggest fundraising day in PGA Tour history. Organizers had hoped to raise at least $12 million for the Mountain Mission School for needy children.
* Tiger Woods announced on his website that he will play the Australian Masters on Nov. 11-14.
* Guerdwich Montimer, the 22-year-old man accused of posing as a high school basketball star in West Texas, has been indicted on six felony charges, including sexual assault and tampering with government records. The indictment also alleges Montimer, who used the name Jerry Joseph, committed identity theft. Ector County District Attorney Bobby Bland said the two counts of sexual assault pertain to alleged attacks on the same 15-year-old girl on one day August. Jabari A. Caldwell, who enrolled Montimer at a junior high school 2 years ago using a fake birth certificate from Haiti and claimed to be Montimer's half brother, faces four felonies.
* Incoming Kansas freshman point guard Josh Selby will be sidelined 4 to 6 weeks after breaking his left hand. Coach Bill Self said the righthanded Selby broke his left hand while playing a pickup game after arriving at Kansas on Monday night. Selby averaged 32 points, seven assists, five rebounds and two steals for Baltimore's Lake Clifton High School last season. He was ranked the overall No. 1 high school prospect by Rivals.com.
* A colorful tribute to late UCLA basketball coach John Wooden is planned for Friday's graduation ceremony. The university said student-athletes and scholars representing the class will carry 99 blue-and-gold flags into the College of Letters and Science ceremony, and UCLA Chancellor Gene Block will speak about Wooden's legacy.
* Former NBA and University of Florida guard Orien Greene has been suspended for 2 years for tampering with urine samples while playing for a pro team in Amsterdam.