ROME, N.Y. - Former New York Giants star Plaxico Burress was released from prison on Monday after spending nearly two years behind bars on a gun charge and headed to Florida to be with his family as he contemplates his chances of playing again in the NFL.

As he left Oneida Correctional Facility in central New York, he hugged agent Drew Rosenhaus and shook hands. He was wearing a black sweatshirt, black shorts, black sneakers, and a Phillies cap.

"It's a beautiful day," Burress told reporters. "It's a beautiful day to be reunited with my family."

His release came nearly two years after he arrived at the medium-security prison. Burress planned to travel to his Florida home to spend time with his wife, son, and a daughter born while he was in jail. He'll continue working out while awaiting a resolution of the NFL labor dispute, said his attorney, Peter M. Frankel.

While some speculation has Burress heading to Philadelphia - a thought further fueled by the Phillies cap - there are several factors that argue against the Eagles making a play for the lanky receiver.

First and foremost, wide receiver is their deepest position, with DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Jason Avant leading the way and Riley Cooper showing some positive signs in his rookie year. Burress, who turns 34 in August, will also be fighting age as well as two years of rust when he returns to the field. In his last season, he had four touchdowns and 454 yards in 10 games. The Eagles have much greater needs elsewhere, including cornerback and pass rush.

Those who link the 6-foot-5 Burress to the Birds usually refer to the Eagles' willingness to take a chance on Michael Vick after his prison sentence. But Vick was 28 when the Eagles signed him. Even then, it took a year back in the NFL before his athleticism fully returned.

Burress pleaded guilty in August 2009 to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and was sentenced to two years in prison. He was released about three months early for good behavior.

Burress walked into a Manhattan nightclub in November 2008 with a handgun tucked in the waistband of his pants. The weapon slipped down and discharged as Burress tried to grab it, wounding him in the thigh.

Albert on CBS. Longtime play-by-play announcer Marv Albert is joining the NFL on CBS team, CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus announced.

Albert worked for NBC Sports from 1977 to '97, covering NFL games on the network for 19 years. He was the play-by-play voice for Westwood One Radio's coverage of Monday Night Football from 2002 to '09 alongside Boomer Esiason.

Albert said he's not sure who will be in the CBS booth with him. CBS's NFL and college basketball play-by-play announcer Gus Johnson left for Fox last month.

Albert will keep his lead role as basketball play-by-play announcer for TNT's Thursday night NBA regular-season and playoff coverage.

Manning update. Former NFL quarterback Archie Manning said his son, Peyton, should recover from neck surgery by the start of the NFL season.

Speaking at Jim Kelly's charity golf event in Batavia, N.Y., about 40 miles east of Buffalo, Manning told reporters the Colts quarterback is "not where he wants to be" 10 days after surgery and that "hopefully" it will work out.