Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Bruins bite back, rout the Canucks

Boston rallied after a cheap shot for first win in Finals.

Boston's eight goals were the most scored by a team in a Stanley Cup finals game since 1996. (Jonathan Hayward/The Canadian Press/AP)
Boston's eight goals were the most scored by a team in a Stanley Cup finals game since 1996. (Jonathan Hayward/The Canadian Press/AP)Read more

BOSTON - Shortly after the Boston Bruins lost Nathan Horton to a frightening injury, they found a dazzling offensive rhythm that got them back into the Stanley Cup Finals.

Andrew Ference and David Krejci each had a goal and an assist during Boston's four-goal second period; Tim Thomas made 40 saves; and the Bruins beat the Canucks, 8-1, in Game 3 on Monday night, trimming Vancouver's series lead to two games to one.

Mark Recchi scored two goals for the Bruins, who turned a big win into a blowout with four more goals in the final 81/2 minutes of the third period against goalie Roberto Luongo, who won the first two games of the best-of-seven series.

The eight goals were the most scored in the Finals since Colorado topped Florida, 8-1, in 1996's Game 2.

Boston emerged from its offensive slump after Horton was taken off on a stretcher in the first period after taking a late hit to the head from Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome.

"It's always tough when a guy goes down," said forward Brad Marchand, who scored a shorthanded goal. "We really wanted to get this win tonight for him. It's a very tough situation, and everyone is worried about him, but it definitely gave us motivation to win."

Recchi, Chris Kelly, and Michael Ryder scored in the final 21/2 minutes as the Bruins emphatically avoided a daunting series deficit.

The palpable excitement of Boston's first home Finals game in 21 years turned into unease after just five minutes.

Horton passed the puck to Milan Lucic at the Vancouver blue line, and Rome left his feet to deliver a shoulder check to Horton's upper chest and head. Horton appeared unconscious after landing on his back, his arm spookily reaching into empty space.

Medical personnel wheeled Horton off the ice wearing a neck brace.

Rome got a five-minute major for interference and a game misconduct, with at least one fan throwing a yellow towel at the Vancouver bench. The Boston crowd rose and cheered several minutes later when a scoreboard message told them Horton could move his arms and legs when he was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital.

NHL Report

Canucks 1 Bruins 8

Vancouver leads series, 2-1.

Game 4: Wednesday at Boston.