COLUMBUS, Ohio - Considering they managed little offensive-zone time and had just 19 shots in regulation, the Flyers should feel fortunate to get one point with a 3-2 overtime loss to Columbus Tuesday at Nationwide Arena.

"It's a satisfying point, but it's a lucky point, too," said Brayden Schenn, who tied the game with 55.5 seconds remaining in regulation by scoring his second goal of the night. "It was a tough game from our standpoint. We didn't generate a whole lot. We weren't great in our own end, and we were lucky to squeeze it into overtime."

Defenseman Kevin Connauton, finishing off a two-on-one caused by Sean Couturier's turnover, scored his first goal of the season - and second of his career - with 3 minutes, 2 seconds left in overtime, giving the Blue Jackets their fourth straight victory.

"I think we looked sluggish out there," said goalie Steve Mason, a former Blue Jacket. "Until the last little bit, we weren't generating enough offense. . . . We'll take this one point, but we have to have a better all-around effort. Right now, it's just not good enough on a consistent basis."

With Mason pulled for an extra attacker, Schenn tipped it Jake Voracek's shot with 55.5 seconds left in regulation, tying the game at 2-2. Referee Dave Jackson, for some reason, ruled the puck did not cross the goal line, but it clearly went through Sergei Bobrovsky's legs and crossed the line.

The call on the ice was overruled in the Toronto war room, and the game was tied.

Former Flyer Scott Hartnell scooped up a loose puck in front and scored a controversial power-play goal midway through the second period, snapping a 1-1 tie.

The Flyers finished 1-2-2 on the road trip, one in which their only win was a 2-1 victory Saturday in Los Angeles, which had a 38-16 shots advantage but was stymied by Mason.

"We can do a lot better, we're a better team than that," captain Claude Giroux said of the road trip.

Columbus took the lead on Hartnell's sixth goal of the season. Mason lost his stick on the play and chased after one of the referees after the goal was scored, claiming interference should have been called on Nick Foligno. Foligno appeared to be pushed by Flyers defenseman Nick Grossmann into Mason, just outside the crease.

With about 11 minutes left in rgeulation, Scott Laughton's giveaway led to Brian Gibbons' breakaway. But Laughton hustled back and prevented Gibbons from getting off a shot.

The Flyers, oddly, began to make an offensive push while shorthanded late in the game. After killing the penalty, Michael Raffl's deflection was turned aside by ex-Flyer Bobrovsky with a little over two minutes left. About a minute later, Schenn tied the game.

"I don't think we played our best game in the first two periods, but in the third the guys dug in and showed resiliency to come back," Grossmann said.

Earlier, Schenn ended a seven-game drought by scoring his eighth goal while the Flyers were on a power play with 2:07 left in the opening period, knotting the score at 1-1. Schenn scored on a one-timer from the slot, after taking a pretty pass from Giroux.

Boone Jenner had scored a power-play goal with 7:26 to go in the first, knocking in his own rebound after his pass caromed off defenseman Braydon Coburn. Brandon Dubinsky, making his season debut after being sidelined by an abdominal injury, had the primary assist.

The Flyers' penalty killers were 5 for 5 in L.A., but they were 0 for 2 in the first two periods Tuesday, and 2 for 4 on the night.

With the loss, the Flyers slipped to 3-9-3 on the road.

"When you're in the other team's building, obviously they're going to push hard. A lot of times, we don't handle that pressure well enough," coach Craig Berube said. "You've got to have composure and you've got to support the puck, and you have to make smart plays."

The Flyers start a four-game homestand Thursday against New Jersey, and they will try to make up some lost ground in the Metropolitan Division.