Skip to content
Pennsylvania High School Sports
Link copied to clipboard

Lightning postpones St. Joe's-La Salle lacrosse game

Fourth quarter of 5-5 game will be played today to determine first place in Catholic League.

WITH A ROUSING fourth quarter of lacrosse almost undoubtedly in the offing, St. Joseph's Prep and La Salle High were halted by lightning delays that led to the game's postponement in a 5-5 tie. The fourth quarter will be finished today at 3 p.m. at La Salle and will determine first place in Catholic League play.

Brief pregame precipitation gave way to brilliant sunshine at the outset, which spawned a rainbow behind the field at Plymouth-Whitemarsh. The game was free from rain throughout until ominous clouds rolled in.

The Explorers assumed a modicum of control after freshman Christopher Hladczuk scored the game's first goal with 2:46 left in the first quarter. La Salle (6-5 overall, 6-0 league) dominated in their offensive zone and also received a few point-blank saves by senior goalie Colin MacDougall.

Junior midfielder Stephen Bradley got the Hawks (9-3, 6-0) on the board with a right-side dash that started at the 40-yard line and ended with a shot from the 15. Sophomore attacker Pete Gayhardt gave SJP a 2-1 lead with 3:19 left in the half. Griffin Fleming, another soph attacker, made it 3-1 with a lunging rebound goal after MacDougall made two saves.

Senior middie Stephen Hudak got the Explorers back in it with a quick goal, and senior attacker Mitchell Soufleris tied it at 3-all with a rocket from the left side.

Pat Walsh, a senior attacker, ripped two more goals for the Hawks, and senior middie Michael Rihm and junior attacker Aidan Kerrigan added a goal apiece to tie the game at five when lightning struck.

Gasps from fans and broadcasters from the Sports Fanbase Network, which streamed the game online, were heard in the stadium. Per rule, a 30-minute delay was called and was followed by another as lightning continued. The second delay didn't last long, because the persistent lightning led both coaches and referees to confer and halt the game.