May 5 at Churchill Downs
1. Union Rags Michael Matz Julien Leparoux 9-2
Should be as fresh as any Derby horse following third-place finish in Florida Derby on March 31. Worked 4 furlongs in 47.40 seconds Friday at Keeneland. Will work one more time at Churchill before race.
2. Gemologist Todd Pletcher Javier Castellano 12-1
Wood Memorial winner is looking to become eighth unbeaten Derby winner. Two of last three were Barbaro (2006) and Smarty Jones (2004). Worked 5 furlongs in 1:00.84 Friday at Palm Meadows.
3. Bodemeister Bob Baffert Mike Smith 22-1
Could be the people's choice with popular trainer recovering from heart attack. Won Arkansas Derby by 91/2 lengths in just fourth career start.
4. Creative Cause Mike Harrington Joel Rosario 8-1
San Felipe winner and Santa Anita Derby runner-up has hit the board in all eight career races.
5. Dullahan Dale Romans Desormeaux 23-1
Despite 0-3 record at Churchill Downs, trainer says Blue Grass (G1) winner will "run well on dirt." ... Desormeaux looking for fourth Derby win.
6. I'll Have Another Doug O'Neil Mario Gutierrez 21-1
Santa Anita Derby winner worked 6 furlongs in 1:13.60 Thursday at Hollywood Park. ... Shipping to Churchill on Saturday.
7. Hansen Mike Maker R. Dominguez 8-1
Last year's 2-year-old champ has one win (Gotham at Aqueduct) and two seconds (Holy Bull, Blue Grass) this year.
8. Take Charge Indy Patrick Byrne Calvin Borel 15-1
Worked 5 furlongs in 1:01.47 Thursday at Palm Meadows. ... trainer says: "Now it's in the hands of the racing gods."
9. Went the Day Well Graham Motion J. Velazquez 19-1
Team Valor-Motion-Velazquez connection won Derby last year with Animal Kingdom. ... Worked 6 furlongs in 1:14.45 Saturday at Keeneland. ... Jockey says, "The 11/4 miles won't hurt him at all."
10. Alpha K. McLaughlin Dominguez 21-1
Could be rider change if Dominguez opts for Hansen. Wood runner-up is recovering from infected cut on left front leg.
Keep an eye on: Daddy Long Legs, Daddy Nose Best, El Padrino, Mark Valeski, and Sabercat.
- Richard Rosenblatt, AP