NYJER MORGAN scored on a fly ball by Ryan Braun in the 10th inning to give the Brewers a 3-2 victory over the visiting Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday night, the second late-inning thriller in a row for Milwaukee.
With the bases loaded and one out, Braun lofted a shallow fly ball to centerfield. Morgan took off for home despite a stop sign from third-base coach Ed Sedar and was called safe on a close play at the plate - although replays showed that he may have been tagged out before reaching the plate. It didn't matter to Morgan, who was mobbed by his teammates after sliding home.
Reliever Matt Guerrier (0-1) took the loss for the Dodgers, who have lost the first two games of the series.
Kameron Loe (1-0) got the win.
Aramis Ramirez hit his first home run of the season for the Brewers, shaking off what has been a sluggish start to the season with his new team.
Guerrier walked Jonathan Lucroy to lead off the bottom of the 10th, and Lucroy was lifted for Morgan as a pinch runner. Cesar Izturis then popped out on a bunt attempt, but Morgan stole second with Rickie Weeks at the plate - then went to third on a bad throw by catcher A.J. Ellis.
The Dodgers put Weeks on first with an intentional walk, bringing Kottaras to the plate. The Dodgers made a defensive shift, with five infielders and two outfielders, and Weeks stole second. Guerrier then walked Kottaras to load the bases for Braun with one out.
In other games: *
At Atlanta, Dan Uggla ended his struggles against R.A. Dickey (2-1) with a two-run homer, and Juan Francisco and Freddie Freeman also hit two-run drives to lead the Braves over the New York Mets, 14-6.
* At Phoenix, Neil Walker's two-out bloop single fell between three players in shallow centerfield and drove in Clint Barmes with the go-ahead run in the top of the eighth inning, and the Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Arizona Diamondbacks, 2-1.
In D-backs news, outfielder Chris Young (right shoulder) and infielder Geoff Blum (strained left oblique) went on the DL.
* At Miami, Hanley Ramirez homered for the third game in a row, Mark Buehrle (1-2) pitched eight innings for his first victory with the Marlins in a 9-1 win over the slumping Chicago Cubs.
* At Washington, Jayson Werth drew a bases-loaded walk and Wilson Ramos hit a sacrifice fly as the Nationals rallied in the eighth inning and beat the Houston Astros, 3-2, for their third straight win. The Nationals improved to 10-3 - they became the first team in the majors to reach 10 wins this season.
* At Denver, Juan Nicasio (1-0) threw 6 1/3 solid innings for his first win since returning from a broken neck, lifting the Colorado Rockies over the San Diego Padres, 8-4..
* At St. Louis, Jaime Garcia (2-0) pitched seven effective innings and hit a two-run triple, Carlos Beltran homered again and the Cardinals extended their winning streak to a season-high four games with an 11-1 rout of the Cincinnati Reds.