The Union played a fairly lively game against the San Jose Earthquakes, but despite a 22-9 advantage in shots they could only muster enough scoring for a 1-1 draw at Talen Energy Stadium.

"I'm really proud of the team, but I'm obviously disappointed not to get all three points on a night where we did create a ton of chances," Union manager Jim Curtin said.

San Jose (1-2-1, 4 points) scored first, and the goal very much against the run of play.

In the 37th minute, Anibal Godoy sprung Danny Hoesen down the right wing, and he laid off a pass for an unmarked Magnus Eriksson to shoot past Andre Blake from the edge of the 18-yard box.

The Union (1-1-2, 5 points) nearly equalized in the 42nd. Fafa Picault snapped a header off a Matt Real cross from the left wing that looked goal-bound, but Andrew Tarbell made a great reflex save. A few moments later, Tarbell stuffed David Accam from close range for his fourth save of the half.

In the second half, the Union's offense stalled. Curtin signaled his frustration by withdrawing Accam in the 63rd minute, sending in Ilsinho, and moving Picault from the right flank to the left.

"David, it wasn't his sharpest night," Curtin said. "He was creating chances, but maybe his touch was a little bit off on the final ball. A decent performance, but we wanted to inject some life into the game."

The change worked right away. Within seconds of the substitution, the Union had two good chances to score, and on the second, they finished the job. Borek Dockal floated a pass from the center to Picault on the left, and he chipped a cross to the far post that Alejandro Bedoya headed in.

That snapped a Union scoreless drought of 265 minutes, extending back to the season opener on March 3.

"It's frustrating," Bedoya said. "We need to have more sense of urgency in the final third, get more guys in the box and make more decisive runs. It's just not good enough up there."

Picault was the Union's best player on the night, and found even more space after the tactical shift. But while the Union had plenty of momentum, they never found the second goal. Tarbell finished with a total of seven saves, and the Union finished the night with frustration.

"I still think there's another level our guys can go to in attack," Curtin said. "If we can perform like this and really have control of the game and create chances, they will eventually go in."