CHESTER -- The Philadelphia Union’s first shot on goal against CF Montreal came in the 87th minute.

After a long struggle to just put an attempt on target, Quinn Sullivan rifled a shot from the top of the box into the right corner of the net.

Sullivan’s goal elicited a loud roar from the Subaru Park faithful, but that also felt like a release of relief given the actions that led up to the final tally of the 1-1 draw.

The draw with Montreal was not the result the Union wanted, but they at least got something out of a match in which their attack was out of ideas until the Sullivan strike.

Philadelphia controlled most of the second half as it chased down a potential equalizer or game-winning goal.

Until Sullivan, a homegrown player who came on as a substitute, found the back of the net, the Union felt like they were going to leave the Subaru Park field with nothing.

Philadelphia attempted 13 shots, earned seven corner kicks, and sent in 21 crosses, but none of those approaches were effective in the first 86 minutes.

The Union will still feel disappointed from dropping two points, but it is better than nothing on a night where things did not seem to go right for them.

Philadelphia’s attack came to life halfway through the first half, but a handful of deflected shots and some unselfishness from Sergio Santos and Cory Burke in the final third cost them any shots on goal.

Montreal opened the scoring right before halftime off a nice back-shoulder run from Djordje Mihailovic.

The midfielder raced past Jakob Glesnes to get into the space in front of goal before Andre Blake. He connected with a Joaquin Torres cross to beat the on-rushing Union goalkeeper.

That was one of four shots on target for the visitors. None of the other attempts put Blake in harm’s way.

Montreal spent most of the second half trying to preserve a victory with its only attacking movements coming on counter attacks. Most of those surges were met by the Union back line.

Philadelphia’s unbeaten run at home was extended to nine straight league games. The draw put the Union into second place over Nashville SC. Both teams are on 32 points, but the Union own the wins tiebreaker.

The Union are back in action next Saturday against D.C. United at Audi Field.