PHOENIX - A man started shooting inside a strip club, killing two people and wounding two others, including a topless dancer, before patrons wrestled the gunman to the floor, police said yesterday.

Gavin MacFarlane, 28, of Scottsdale, opened fire at the Great Alaskan Bush Company shortly before midnight Sunday before he ran out of ammunition and was tackled, police said.

Police Sgt. Trent Crump said MacFarlane told detectives that he had a "personal agenda" but didn't immediately provide further details about his motive.

Troy Cooley, 34, a security guard at the west Phoenix club, was shot and killed.

A club patron, Antonio Garcia, 20, also died.

A 22-year-old man and the 20-year-old dancer were wounded.

Witnesses reported that MacFarlane had been inside the bar, went outside to the parking lot, then came back and started shooting.

It was unclear what prompted the gunfire.

Amanda Holland, a dancer at the club, told KTVK-TV that she helped the dancer who was shot in the arm before the gunman fired at a doorman who was trying to protect her.

"One of our doormen got shot because he was starting to defend one of the girls that work there," Holland said.

She said that the gunman told the dancer, "You're next," when the doorman stood in front of the dancer and was shot and killed.

Holland told KPHO-TV that she saw the group of customers tackle the gunman.

"There's like three Marine guys, and like four other guys that chased the guy down, I guess, and just started jumping him," Holland said. "He [the gunman] kinda got what he deserved."

This was the second fatal shooting at a Phoenix strip club over the Christmas weekend.

Just before 1 a.m. Saturday, officers responded to a shots-fired call at Chi Chis Cabaret, in central Phoenix, and found a club security guard with multiple gunshot wounds.

A man police identified as Tekina Latu, 22, became upset after a fight between two groups, grabbed a handgun and fired several rounds at the security guard.

The guard was able to return fire. He was wearing a bulletproof vest and was hospitalized with injuries that were not life-threatening.

Latu's relatives took him to a hospital where he later died from his injuries.