EVEN THE MEN who created Ron Burgundy are at a loss to explain aspects of his enduring influence.
Like that fact that he's become an effective pitchman: Will Ferrell's Ron Burgundy ads for the Dodge Durango coincided with a 59 percent increase in October sales.
"Why would Ron Burgundy make people jump toward a Dodge Durango? Lord only knows," said Adam McKay, who created Burgundy along with Ferrell, and whose Funny or Die production company produced the ads.
McKay doesn't really understand the Burgundy bump, but he's glad it exists and glad to be selling vehicles made in the USA.
"There's thinking behind that. He's not doing pitches for Goldman Sachs. He's not doing pitches for Walmart. We were very careful about choosing Dodge. It's an American-made product. They have union workers. They actually changed fuel-economy standards so they are more green. That's the kind of production we want to support.
"Will was offered other products that didn't fit those guidelines, so we were really very cautious about what we backed. Will doesn't do a lot of ads," said McKay, who once helped Ferrell with a viral campaign for Old Milwaukee beer.
"We liked Dodge because they are doing good stuff. Paying a living wage. It's an old American company, and Burgundy is an old American guy."
If you can't afford a Durango (starting at about 30 grand), there are more affordable products in the "Anchorman" pipeline:
* Ron Burgundy Great Odin's Raven Special Reserve: "Not a novelty - it is a fine scotch," says Riviera Imports. About $25 for a 750 ml bottle.
* Sex Panther Cologne: Doesn't smell bad, and the bottle growls when you open it. $40 for 1.7 ounces.
* Sex Panther beer: Also not a novelty, the double chocolate porter is made by Arizona's SanTan Brewery, $30 a case.
* Jockey Underwear: Briefs, not boxers, in Sex Panther Red or Bear of Zeus Blue. Look for the "Don't act like you're not impressed" label. $18 a package.
* Ben & Jerry's Scotchy Scotch Scotch: Butterscotch-flavored ice cream. Price varies.
* Let Me Off at the Top: My Classy Life and Other Musings. Ron Burgundy's autobiography, priced at $7 on Kindle, $11 in print.
* "Anchorman: The Rich Mahogany Edition"DVD, $10 on Amazon.com.
* Ron Burgundy "It's the Pleats" slacks: Unavailable at this time.
- Gary Thompson