Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

SEPTA police exchange gunfire with homicide suspect in Kensington, officials say

The shootout happened around 3:45 p.m. near the Allegheny Station.

File photo.
File photo.Read moreYONG KIM / Staff Photographer

Two SEPTA police detectives exchanged gunfire with a man suspected in a homicide Wednesday afternoon in the city’s Kensington section, authorities said.

Just before 3:45 p.m., the plainclothes transit detectives responded to the sound of gunfire on the 3100 block of Kensington Avenue near the Allegheny Station stop on the Market-Frankford Line and located a 30-year-old man who had been shot several times, the Philadelphia Police Department said.

The transit detectives then got into a shootout with a suspect, who police believe was struck and wounded during the exchange but was able to flee the scene.

On Wednesday night, police said a 28-year-old man with multiple gunshot wounds showed up at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center in West Philadelphia and was identified as the suspect. He was reported to be in critical condition.

The initial shooting victim was transported by SEPTA police to a hospital and was pronounced dead at 4:09 p.m.

SEPTA spokesperson Andrew Busch said the transit detectives were not injured. No further details were available about the homicide on Kensington Avenue.

Within a few hours on Wednesday evening, police reported two more homicides in the city.

Around 5:35 p.m., three men were wounded by gunfire outside on the 3100 block of Barnett Street in Mayfair.

A 23-year-old man shot in the head, chest, right forearm, and left thigh was taken by police to Jefferson Torresdale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:07.

A 21-year-old man shot several times in the legs was transported by medics to Jefferson Torresdale and was listed in stable condition. A 30-year-old man shot in the right thigh was taken by medics to Einstein Medical Center, where he also was listed in stable condition.

No arrests were reported in that case.

Finally, just before 6:20 p.m., an unidentified male was fatally wounded and a 23-year-old man suffered a graze wound in a shooting outside on the 4300 block of North Carlisle Street in North Philadelphia, police said.

The unidentified male, who was shot several times, was taken by police to Temple hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:36. The 23-year-old man grazed in the right arm was treated at the scene by medics.

Police reported no arrests and there were no other details in that shooting.