Recent good reads you may have missed.
1) The newest story about Internet trolls, this one from online mag Slate, brews an interesting idea: teaching grammar school age children how to recognize — and ignore — all those trolls.
2) Philly literature magazine Apiary is trying to raise $15,000 to redesign its web presence — and be able to squirrel away enough cash to print the next two editions, according to the Temple News.
3) Tom Wolf's first big test? Finding talented 16 people to serve as department chiefs in Pennsylvania government. As this Newsworks column points out, it wasn't so easy for the man Wolf defeated.
4) A longform look by Philadelphia magazine at the "new" version of an old Philly face: John "Johnny Doc" Dougherty. In the photo that goes with the story, the blue-collar labor leader is wearing a suit in a shot that leaves out his lower body. So the question is: Does the new Doc still wear work boots?
5) And in a shorter profile piece, Philly Mag perpetuates the city's ongoing lovefest with SEPTA police Chief (and Twitter aficionado) Tom Nestel.
- Brian X. McCrone