Good reads from around the country you may have missed.
1) Belly up to the arsenal. The Pentagon finally details its weapons-for-cops giveaway. And Billy Penn's Chris Krewson breaks out all the lethal goodies given to Pennsylvania PDs.
2) Sotheby's Auction Listing: World's Largest Truffle. From Umbria, Italy, this lovely 4.61 pound specimen was discovered last week by specially trained dogs. Bidding begins at $50,000.
3) Stranger than fiction: Star Trek's 'tricorder' could soon be a reality. Zack Seward reports for Newsworks' The Pulse about a Philadelphia-area doctor competing for the $10 million Qualcomm Tricorder XPRIZE, Seward describes the doc's invention "as a really souped up thermometer that scans and records your vital signs" and offers up a diagnosis of what's wrong with you. In other news, public restrooms aren't as icky as you might think.
4) Don Lemon is America's first Reality News Star, opines Larry Mendte for Phillymag. In a truly funny column, Mendte details the CNN anchor's sweet and sour climb to Internet joke status.
5) Helmetless football: It's the new practice at UNH where the Eagles' Chip Kelly honed his style. Practicing without helmets is meant to ingrain safer tackling techniques to a new generation of players.
- Sam Wood