Skip to content
Crime & Justice
Link copied to clipboard

Cops seize gun from Marvin Harrison in N. Philly

A pair of patrol cops confiscated a 9 mm handgun from former NFL star Marvin Harrison in North Philadelphia earlier today.

A pair of patrol cops confiscated a 9 mm handgun from former NFL star Marvin Harrison in North Philadelphia earlier today.

A police source said Harrison was stopped for driving a Cadillac Escalade the wrong way on Berks Street near 27th about 2:40 p.m.

The minor traffic incident got a bit more interesting when the officers started to question the ex-Indianapolis Colts and Roman Catholic wide receiver.

Harrison showed the cops a permit to carry a firearm that was registered in Montgomery County, where he owns a home, the source said.
However, he failed to mention that he had a handgun in the SUV, which he was required to do by law, the source noted.

The cops took the gun, which is registered to a man who lives in Philadelphia, the source said.

Harrison was not charged with any wrongdoing and was allowed to leave the scene. The source said the officers asked Harrison to come in for additional questioning, but he declined. He wasn't required to come in for questioning.

The weapon might be test-fired by investigators to determine whether it may have been used in two prior shootings linked to Harrison, the source noted.

For much of the last few years, Harrison has generated more headlines for his alleged links to the shootings than for the outstanding skill he once displayed on the football field.

Local guy Dwight Dixon claimed that Harrison shot him in the hand on April 29, 2008, after the two fought near Harrison's garage at 25th and Thompson street in North Philly.

Another man, Robert Nixon, claimed he was wounded in the back by an errant shot fired by Harrison.

Police later said ballistics evidence proved that several shots had been fired that day by a gun Harrison admitted to owning.

Charges were never filed, however, because then-District Attorney Lynne Abraham said Dixon, Nixon, Harrison and several others told numerous contradictory stories about the shooting.

Both Dixon and Nixon filed civil lawsuits against Harrison.

On July 21, 2009, Dixon was riddled with gunfire on Girard Avenue near 28th Street, two blocks from Harrison's bar, Playmakers.
Before he died two months later, Dixon told police that he believed Harrison was behind that shooting.

Dixon's murder remains unsolved. Earlier this year, District Attorney Seth Williams said Harrison was a "person of interest" in the case.