Shake up after school snack time and serve these veggie sticks that are made of real vegetables! Vegetable chips are gaining popularity as a healthy snack when most of the products on the market are made out of potato flour that provide little nutrition. In contrast, our recipe gives kids the fiber and protein that they need to keep hunger at bay until dinnertime.
Baked Asparagus Sticks
- Preheat the oven to 450 F degrees. Prepare a large baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the asparagus by rinsing with cold water and trimming the ends (or bend each spear and the woody ends will break off instantly).
- In a large shallow bowl, measure out the flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Prepare the crumb coating: mix bread crumbs, basil, parsley, pepper, salt, and garlic powder together in a shallow dish. Now, we are ready to make our asparagus sticks!
- Set up an assembly line with the bowls: dip 1 asparagus spear into the flour, then the egg, and finally into the crumb mix, coating evenly. Place the finished stick onto the baking sheet. Repeat this step with all the asparagus spears.
- Bake the spears for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. When they are done, the sticks should be golden brown and crispy. Serve with tomato sauce if desired.
Serving size: 6 sticks. Recipe makes around 5 servings
Adapted from Weelicious.com