"We've seen some real damage to the consumer's psyche."
- Tom Kloza, an analyst at Oil Price Information Services, on the continuing effects of high gasoline prices.
"More than anything, this is about being fed up. We are absolutely fed up."
- Spanish protester Maria Martinez, 32, on bleak job prospects in the country's poor economy.
"We're in some ways a victim of our own success."
- Maureen Mulligan, a spokeswoman for Pennsylvania Solar Energy Industries Association, on the glut of projects spurred by federal and state incentives.
"In the eyes of most, Chrysler had been condemned to death. Repayment of our government loans closes an important chapter in our history."
- Sergio Marchionne, chief executive officer of Chrysler Group L.L.C. and Fiat S.p.A., on Chrysler's repayment of $7.6 billion in U.S. and Canadian government loans.
"Most home builders have evolved a much more sober outlook vs. previous enthusiasm for a bounce of sorts beginning in the latter half of this year."
- Vicki Bryan of Gimme Credit L.L.C.
"It's amazing the number of major remodeling agreements that are based only on a one-page bid sheet or a handshake."
- Bruce Hahn, president of the American Homeowners Foundation in Arlington, Va.
"When you have a pecking order in your life of financial priorities, all of a sudden, way down low are going to be going to the doctor and getting health care."
- Alan Krigstein,
chief financial officer
at Independence Blue Cross, on why subscribers are making less use of their health insurance policies.