BE KIND to Animals Week is celebrating its 99th birthday. Here are 10 ways to observe it:
* Spay or neuter your pet
* Make sure your pet wears identification and is microchipped
* Make time to play with your pet every day
* Train your pet
* Feed your pet good food, but not too much
* Adopt or foster a pet from your local shelter
* Understand and meet your pet's physical and behavioral needs
* Teach your children how to safely and kindly interact with animals
* Make a donation of money or goods to your local humane society
* Take your pet to the veterinarian for regular checkups.
* Shelter medicine has officially become the newest veterinary specialty recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association. The work of shelter veterinarians is varied. Their goal is to improve the quality of life for animals in shelters through preventive medicine, disease management and stress reduction. Most U.S. veterinary colleges now offer shelter medicine programs.