Makes 2 loaves
1½ cups hot water
1 packet yeast
3¾ cups flour
¼ cup honey
½ cup sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter, diced and softened
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, hard-boiled
For vanilla glaze:
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine the hot water and yeast in a mixing bowl and set aside until foamy.
2. In a stand mixer with the dough hook attached, combine the flour, honey, sugar, egg, egg yolks, vegetable oil, butter, salt and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed, and add in the water-yeast mixture. Increase the speed to medium and mix for 8 minutes.
3. Let the dough rest in a warm spot covered with a towel until tripled in size, about 3 hours. Punch the dough down, and turn out onto a cutting board. Cut into two equal pieces.
4. Shape three long ropes out of each piece and braid with a hardboiled egg in the center. Place the braided dough into a buttered round cake pan and set aside covered in a warm spot until doubled, about 1½ hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 325 °F. Bake the breads until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
6. While the breads are baking, make the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar together with the milk and vanilla. If the glaze seems too thick, add more milk a few drops at a time.
7. Spread the glaze over the breads and top with sprinkles.
Per serving: 239 calories, 5 grams protein, 39 grams carbohydrates, 16 grams sugar, 7 grams fat, 87 milligrams cholesterol, 46 milligrams sodium, 1 gram dietary fiber.