Makes 6 servingsEndTextStartText
21/2 pounds beef tenderloin
2 extra-large beef bouillon cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
11/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 cup low-sodium beef or low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
Roasted green beans (optional)
1. Poke the meat with a knife or thick skewer to make small holes all over. Set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the bouillon cubes, the garlic, mustard, tomato paste, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and the Worcestershire. Pour in the boiling water to dissolve the bouillon. Using the back of a wooden spoon, crush the bouillon cubes. Keep crushing and stirring until you've made a nice thick paste.
3. Rub the paste all over the meat, rotating it to coat all sides well. Transfer meat to a roasting pan, cover loosely with foil, and marinate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
4. While meat is marinating, set a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour enough water into the roasting pan to come to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Place pan in oven and roast, covered, 15 minutes.
5. Remove foil and rotate pan. Continue cooking and check after 10 minutes that there is still liquid in the pan; add ¼ cup hot water if needed.
6. Roast an additional 5 minutes for rare, an additional 15 minutes for medium-rare, and an additional 20 minutes for medium, or until center of roast registers the desired temperature on an instant-read thermometer. Rare: 125 degrees (total cooking time about 30 minutes); medium-rare: 130 degrees (about 40 minutes); medium: 140 degrees (about 45 minutes).
7. Transfer roast to cutting board, cover with foil to keep warm, and allow to rest.
8. Prepare gravy: Place roasting pan with drippings on a burner over medium heat. Scrape up the brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add butter and stir.
9. Whisk in the wine, sherry, and beef broth. Add the cornstarch-water mixture, whisking until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Slice the roast. Serve on a platter over roasted green beans (if using). Serve gravy separately.
Per serving: 450 calories; 56 grams protein; 4 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram sugar; 19 grams fat; 179 milligrams cholesterol; 378 milligrams sodium; no dietary fiber.