Makes 4 portions
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 (4-ounce) thickly cut filet mignons
11/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
Mushroom Duxelles, recipe follows
1 large egg beaten with 2 teaspoons water to make an egg wash
1. Mix the mustard, salt, and pepper together in a medium nonreactive bowl. Add the filet pieces and toss, rubbing the mustard mixture onto all the surfaces of each piece of meat. Let sit for a half-hour to an hour at room temperature.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sear each piece for less than minute on each side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate till cool.
3. Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 14-inch square, and cut into 4 (approximately 7-inch) squares.
4. Spread one-quarter of the mushroom duxelles in the center of each square of pastry. Place the filet on top. Using a pastry brush or your finger, paint the inside edges of the pastry with egg wash. Fold the pastry over the filet as though wrapping a package and press the edges to seal. Place the packages seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Make several slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape when baking. If desired use any pastry scraps to create decorative patterns on top, using additional egg wash to adhere the cutouts. Place in freezer for 1 hour or up to 1 week. (if freezing for longer than an hour wrap well).
5. When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush egg wash over the tops and sides of each package and bake for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and continue cooking until the pastry is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 110 degrees F for rare, about 25-30 additional minutes depending on the thickness of the meat.
6. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with a dish of mustard or with a veal-beef demi-glace (purchase from D'Artagnan) warmed with a splash of red wine as a sauce.
- Anna Herman, annasedibleadventures.com