Makes 6-8 servings
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 egg yolks, beaten
1 9-inch graham cracker pie shell, baked
2 large bananas, sliced
Whipped cream (optional)
Shaved chocolate (optional)
1. To make the cream filling, combine the cream, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla bean, and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and then reduce heat so the mixture just barely bubbles. Cook until thickened, about two more minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Temper the eggs by stirring in about a cup of the hot half-and-half mixture a few tablespoons at a time to gradually warm the egg yolks. Then whisk the tempered eggs yolks into the hot half-and-half mixture. Return to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it returns to a boil, about two more minutes.
3. Transfer the cream filling to a bowl, remove the vanilla bean, press plastic wrap over the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Spread one-third of the cream filling on the bottom of the pie shell and top with half the banana slices. Spread another one-third of the cream filling over the banana slices, and top with the remaining banana slices. Spread the remaining custard on top, making sure to cover the bananas completely to prevent browning. Refrigerate overnight.
5. When ready to serve, cut the pie into wedges, and top with shaved chocolate and whipped cream,
Per Serving (based on 8, without optional ingredients):
473 calories; 4 grams protein; 57 grams carbohydrates;
40 grams sugar; 27 grams fat; 193 milligrams cholesterol;
341 milligrams sodium; 1 gram dietary fiber.