Pumpkin Pecan Custard with Candied Clemintines and Crispy Filo
Makes 6-8 servings 2 cups pureed cooked, peeled and seeded pie pumpkin, butternut or other not too moist squash (or sweet potato). If pumpkin or squash is very moist spread on a baking pan and cook in a 200 degree oven for up to 1/2-2 hours until there is no seeping water to be seen.
Makes 6-8 servings
2 cups pureed cooked, peeled and seeded pie pumpkin, butternut or other not too moist squash (or sweet potato). If pumpkin or squash is very moist spread on a baking pan and cook in a 200 degree oven for up to 1/2-2 hours until there is no seeping water to be seen.
1/2 cup heavy cream or sweetened condensed milk
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (the amount will depend on the sweetness of the squash and whether you use cream or sweetened condensed milk)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
3-4 slices of candied clementine chopped fine, or zest of one orange
1/2 cup spice pecans, chopped roughly
1/2 cup butter, melted
8-10 sheets of phyllo
3-4 teaspoons of sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
1. Mix the squash with the cream, eggs, sugar, spices until well mixed. Add the pecans and chopped clementine and mix well. Adjust sugar and seasonings as desired.
2. Put the squash mixture into a buttered baking dish.
3. Melt the butter and place in a large mixing bowl. Stack the filo sheets and roll them into a tight log. Make thin slices through the log creating spirals of filo shreds. Gently toss the filo slices into the butter until well coated. Place the phyllo shreds atop the pumpkin mixture, separating them a bit and arranging them to cover the surface. Spinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.
4. Bake until custard is set and filo is lightly browned about 25-35 minutes depending on the depth of your baking dish.
5. Enjoy as is, or accompanied with whipped or iced cream.
Per Serving (based on 8): 347 calories; 5 grams protein; 26 grams carbohydrates; 15 grams sugar; 21 grams fat; 102 milligrams cholesterol; 111 milligrams sodium; 3 grams dietary fiber.EndText