Makes 6-8 servings
3/4 pound broccoli, stems and florets chopped into bite-size pieces (about 6 cups
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
(about 2 cups)
2 cups whole milk (or 1 cup 1 percent milk and 1 cup half-and-half)
1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. Wash the broccoli. Chop off the ends of the stalk, and chop the florets and stems into bite-size pieces. Peel and chop the onion into ½-inch dice. Place both in a mixing bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
3. Line a sheet pan with foil, and assemble the broccoli pieces and chopped onion in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, grate the cheese. Measure the milk. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, and whisk. Add the milk and the grated cheese, and mix.
5. Grease a 9-by-12-inch Pyrex casserole or a 12-muffin tin with the butter. Add broccoli and onions to the casserole or muffin tin, then pour in the eggs, milk, and cheese. Add ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the casserole or muffins are lightly browned. Check the muffins after 20 minutes, as they will bake faster.
Per serving: 315 calories, 20 grams fat, 360 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 10 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams dietary fiber, 7 grams sugar, 20 grams protein.