Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Makes 6 servings For the sauce: 11/2 teaspoons olive oil 1 teaspoon minced ginger 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Makes 6 servings
For the sauce:
11/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
11/2 teaspoons lemon juice
11/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon vinegar
For the stir fry:
2 tablespoons olive oil
11/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
thighs, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch strips
11/2 pounds broccoli, washed and chopped
into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup quinoa
1. Prepare the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Make the sauce: Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry 15 to 30 seconds over medium heat to bring out the flavor. Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Bring just to boil, stirring.
3. In a small, separate bowl, stir and dissolve the cornstarch in the vinegar. Then pour that into the saucepan, whisking until combined. Heat until sauce thickens and reaches a full boil. Simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Make the stir fry: Have all the ingredients ready. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the chicken and stir-fry 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the pan. Add the broccoli (and, if necessary, the remaining tablespoon of olive oil) and sauté until crispy tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken back. Add the sauce and the almonds.
5. Once the mixture is briefly heated through, serve over quinoa.
Per serving: 498 calories, 18 grams protein, 79 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams sugar, 13 grams fat, 25 milligrams cholesterol, 461 milligrams sodium, 4 grams dietary fiber