1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound Mexican pork chorizo, skins removed
1 white onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon each: ground ancho chili, sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1/2 teaspoon each: thyme, ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
1 yellow onion, chopped
8 ears corn, kernels cut from cobs (or 5 cups frozen)
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces mild cheese, such as Chihuahua or Oaxaca cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Crumble in chorizo. Cook, stirring often, until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a bowl, leaving fat in the skillet.
2. Add the white onion, garlic, ancho, paprika, cumin, chipotle, thyme, allspice, cloves and ½ teaspoon salt to the skillet; stir. Cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, 5-8 minutes.
3. Stir in the chicken; cook, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through, 15 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; transfer contents to a bowl. Stir in the reserved chorizo, cilantro and lime juice.
4. Wipe skillet clean; heat 2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the yellow onion; cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 5-8 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Combine onion with the corn and milk in a food processor; puree until smooth. Return skillet to medium heat; add corn mixture. Cook, stirring, until the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Remove skillet from heat.
5. Transfer corn mixture to a bowl. Spread the chicken-chorizo mixture in the skillet. Spread the corn mixture over the meat. Bake 30 minutes. Remove dish from oven; turn on the broiler. Spread the cheese over the casserole. Broil until cheese melts and begins to brown, 3-5 minutes.
— Adapted from The World in a Skillet.