Makes 6 servingsEndTextStartText
3 cups water or chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
11/2 cups dry quinoa
1 lemon, zested, then cut into quarters
1 lime, zested, then cut into quarters
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 bunch scallions, cut on a slight bias
1. Bring 3 cups water with 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. (If using chicken stock, skip the salt.) Add quinoa to water and turn heat to the lowest setting on stove. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, checking at 10 minutes.
2. After quinoa has absorbed water, cover saucepan and turn off heat. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, use fork to fluff quinoa, trying not to stir.
4. Transfer cooked quinoa to mixing bowl and add zest of lime and lemon in pinches, tasting as you go. (Some children found it too lemony.)
5. Cut into quarters, and squeeze the juice of both citrus into bowl, to taste. Drizzle olive oil, and combine. Fold cut scallions into quinoa. Serve warm. (This dish may also be refrigerated and served as a cold salad the next day.)