Makes 6 to 8 servings ¼ cup olive oil 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
Makes 6 to 8 servings
¼ cup olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
5 thyme sprigs (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups water
4 cups chicken stock
2 yellow-flesh potatoes, peeled and cut into
4 turnips, peeled and cut into bite-sized
½ head of cabbage, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans
For garnish: olive oil and Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Wash and prep the vegetables.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-
bottomed pot over medium heat.
3. Add the onion, carrots, and celery.
Cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
4. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and salt.
Cook for 5 minutes longer.
5. Add, and bring to a boil, 4 cups of water and
4 cups of chicken stock.
6. When boiling, add the potatoes, turnips,
and cabbage, and cook 15 minutes more,
then taste for salt, and adjust as necessary.
7. Add beans, stir and cook for 5 more
8. Serve in individual bowls. Garnish with olive
oil and Parmesan cheese.
- From The Art of Simple Food,
by Alice Waters (Potter, 2007)
Per serving: 415 calories, 9 g fat, no cholesterol,
470 mg sodium, 68 g carbs, 22 g dietary fiber,
9 g sugar, 21 g protein.