Introduce your family to a fun, new way of eating salmon—in burger form!
Salmon is a fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which is a healthy fat that is necessary for heart health. Since our bodies do not make these types of fats, it is important that we include a variety of foods that contain this essential nutrient. Other sources include sardines, tuna, walnuts and flax seeds.
For more information about healthy fish for children, see the recommendations from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Sensational salmon patties
- Mix yogurt sauce ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Spray medium pan with cooking spray; add 1 teaspoon of oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery; sauté about 5 minutes; stir mixture to avoid burning.
- Combine onion and celery mixture, 1/2 cup crackers, black pepper, salmon and egg white in a medium bowl.
- Divide salmon mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a patty.
- Coat each patty with the remaining crackers. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spray medium skillet with cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, cook patties for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Serve the salmon patty with yogurt sauce, plain or with a bun or pita.