Fitness junkies will testify that the right playlist can distract you from the burn that invades your muscles or the fatigue that threatens to undo your final set. That's why we're helping you upgrade your workout playlists with favorite picks from Philadelphia's top fitness instructors.
If you ask Katz, music is literally everything when it comes to working out.
"If the music isn't right, it can mess up your entire work out," said Katz. "I want to make sure my playlists will push my riders where I want them to go."
Katz usually plays a mix of pop, hip- hop, house, and dance music to get her clients pumped up and ready to rock.
"When making a playlist, I look for stuff that moves and speaks to me," said Katz. "I need to feel inspired be it by the lyrics or the beats.
For Katz, exercise is an emotional journey as much as it is aphysical one. The Body Cycle instructor suggests allowing the songs in your playlists to cater to your mental state at any given point in your work out.
"If you are warming up, you need things that motivates you to get moving and get started," said Katz.
"Sparks" by Fredde Le Grand is often Katz's go-to warm up tune. "It says, 'Turn off your mind' which tells you to get focused on your workout, get in the game, and forget about your day."
In the middle of a heavy push, Katz looks to songs she calls "aggressive," whether in lyrics or genre. An aggressive song is certainly up for interpretation but for Katz, that means something along the lines of "Rock Super Star" by Cypress Hill or "Mf" by Awolnation.
"For a cool down, you need something that settles you but also rewards you for your hard work and for that I like little 'XO' by Beyonce or 'Valerie' by Amy Winehouse," Katz suggested.
"Whatever music you choose, make sure it speaks to your soul," said Katz. "The right music will push your limits and help take you on a journey physically and emotionally."
Want to sweat like a Body Rocker? Here are 17 songs currently energizing Katz's spin classes:
- "Recess" by Skrillex
- "Out of My Mind" by B.o.B feat. Nicki Minaj
- "Shot Me Down" by David Guetta
- "Stampede" by Dimitri Vegas
- "Invincible" by Borgeous
- "Get Low" by Dillion Francis
- "Greyhound" by Swedish House Mafia
- "Russian Roulette (Chew Fu Black Russian Fix Remix)" by Rihanna
- "Mf" by Awolnation
- "Fall in Love" by Phantogram
- "Set It Off (TheFatRat Remix)" by Diplo
- "No Church in the Wild" by Kanye West
- "All of Me (Tiesto Remix)" by John Legend
- "Higher Ground" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- "On to the Next One" by Jay Z
- "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon
- "Princess of China (Invisible Men Remix)" by Coldplay