Skip to content
Link copied to clipboard

Man guilty of South Philly abduction attempt caught on video

Carlos Figueroa-Fagot, 34, was expressionless as the jury foreman read that he was guilty of attempted kidnapping

THE MAN who made headlines last year after being captured on surveillance video trying to abduct a 10-year-old girl from a South Philadelphia sidewalk was convicted yesterday on all six charges he faced.

Carlos Figueroa-Fagot, 34, was expressionless as the jury foreman read that he was guilty of attempted kidnapping, unlawful contact with a minor, indecent assault and three related charges.

Common Pleas Judge Alice Dubow ordered an assessment to determine if Figueroa-Fagot is a violent sexual predator as defined by the state's Megan's Law. Such a finding would require him to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

He will be sentenced Dec. 11.

"I'd like him to be under the jail," the girl's mother, Joanne Payne, said after leaving court.

"There's never been a better day - maybe when my kids were born. But that's it," said Payne, surrounded by relatives, friends and daughter Virginia Rose Payne, now 11.

Although shy yesterday, Virginia bravely fought off Figueroa-Fagot the afternoon of July 17, 2012, and made it home safely with her 2-year-old brother.

Surveillance video showed both children walking on Porter Street near Lee at 3:50 p.m., with Figueroa-Fagot following in his car. As the children turned onto Lee Street, the defendant got out of his car and attempted to pick her up. She struggled and her brother screamed, causing the defendant to drop her before he attempted to pick her up again. Failing, Figueroa-Fagot ran back to his car and took off.

Watching the video repeatedly during the trial was difficult, Payne said. "It was disgusting. It was absolutely appalling. I was a mess," she said.

Assistant District Attorney Joseph McGlynn, the prosecutor, praised police "and the fact that Virginia has so much toughness and courage to be able to do that."

Public defender Geoffrey Kilroy argued that the police had arrested the wrong man.

"We thought the evidence was not conclusive enough to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. However, we respect the jury's verdict," Kilroy said.