Train kills 1 in Malvern

A person was struck and killed by a train yesterday morning in Malvern, Chester County, disrupting service on Amtrak and SEPTA.

Someone trespassing on the tracks was hit about 9:15 a.m. by a Keystone Service train westbound from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, Amtrak said.

The train had 100 people on board at the time, Amtrak said. No riders or crew members were injured.

The incident prompted SEPTA to suspend service on a section of the Paoli/Thorndale Linefor about three hours.

Duo charged with scam

A Voorhees, N.J., couple are accused of stealing almost $323,000 in audiovisual equipment from the Moorestown, N.J., company for which they worked.

Gustavo Gomez, 42, and his wife, Donna Gomez, 59, face charges including theft by deception, computer criminal activity and conspiracy to commit theft by deception, the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office said.

They are accused of stealing valuable equipment over an eight-year period and selling it through an online auction site.

The extent of the thefts was "staggering," Starlite Productions founder Dean Danowitz told the Courier-Post.

Donna Gomez was the general manager and Gustavo Gomez was an audiovisual inventory-control manager, officials said.

Between 2006 and 2014, authorities said, they conducted 107 online auctions for stolen items with a total value of $322,968.

The two were released after posting $50,000 bail each.

N.J. Christmas miracle

A Point Pleasant, N.J., man was reunited with his wedding ring after it fell off his finger and sank to the bottom of the ocean while he was fishing.

Jay Bradford's ring fell in the water off Long Branch while he was pulling an anchor in during a frustrating day searching for blackfish earlier this month, the Asbury Park Press reported.

"He texted me and said his day was going wrong. I said, 'Don't worry, you will find the fish,' " said his wife Meagan Bradford, 29. "He texted me back: 'It's not the fishing, I lost my ring in the water.' I nearly threw up."

Bradford, 27, and boat captain Nick Barsa returned to the spot four days later with salvage diver Mark Thompson. Barsa steered the boat using GPS coordinates to the exact spot where the ring was lost, while dealing with 35-mph winds and a big southeast swell.

Thompson dove in and searched rock ledges and sifted through thousands of mussels. He says he found the ring resting on a rock in 10 minutes.

"When they found it I was ecstatic, I was amazed," Meagan Bradford said. "I nicknamed Nick 'Capt. St. Nicholas,' for this time of year because these two did perform a Christmas miracle for us to have that ring back."

- Emily Babay and

the Associated Press