A week ago, 14-year-old Autumn Bartle was fighting for her life in a bathroom of her Bucks County home.

As her 20-year-old cousin, Colin Haag III, repeatedly stabbed her, court documents allege, "bloody handprints on the bathroom window" appear to show that she tried to escape.

In all, Bartle was stabbed more than 80 times and was shot once in her left temple, the Bucks County District Attorney's Office said Friday, charging Haag with homicide and related offenses in her death.

In addition to "a copious amount of blood in the bathroom," including in the bathtub, blood was found on bedding and on walls throughout the house, the documents said.

Bartle's mother, who arrived home about 6:40 p.m. March 30, found her unconscious and bleeding on the living-room floor of their Sycamore Avenue house in the Croydon section of Bristol Township. The girl was taken by ambulance to Jefferson Torresdale Hospital, then flown to St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, where she died from her wounds about 10 a.m. Monday.

Haag, who lived in the basement of the house, was not at home when the mother arrived, authorities said. Bensalem Township police spotted him shortly before 10 p.m. March 30 walking along State Road. When officers approached him, they heard a gunshot, then took cover, believing that Haag might have been firing at them, authorities said in the documents filed Friday.

A short time later, officers saw Haag run to the back of a building at 2500 State Rd. and found that he had shot himself in the throat, authorities said. Haag said "he shot himself because he didn't want to go to jail," the documents said.

Haag was arraigned Friday on charges of homicide, kidnapping, burglary, unlawful restraint, gun counts, and related offenses. District Judge Robert L. Wagner Jr. in Levittown told him to obtain an attorney.

Afterward, Bucks County District Attorney Matthew D. Weintraub told reporters at a news conference that authorities did not know the motive for the slaying. "We hope to have that answer," he said. "We'll continue to work on getting that answer. But sometimes, as we stand here in this case, you look into the face of a killer and you don't get answers. You see only darkness."

Haag had initially been arrested and charged Monday with a felony theft offense after he was released from Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, where he was treated for his gunshot wound. Authorities said he had entered the attic bedroom of Bartle's father, Michael Jr., and had taken two pistols — a .380-caliber Smith & Wesson Bodyguard and a 9mm Smith & Wesson M&P.

Both guns were in Haag's possession when police found him in Bensalem. A ballistics analysis determined that the bullet that was fired into the girl's head was from the .380-caliber pistol, authorities said.