Skip to content
Crime & Justice
Link copied to clipboard

Man charged after baby ODs from needle stuck in leg

The child was treated for an accidental overdose at Chestnut Hill Hospital, while a 35-year-old man was in custody and facing charges.

File Photo
File PhotoRead moreDAVID SWANSON / Staff Photographer

A 9-month-old baby had to be revived with Narcan on Wednesday night after police found her with a hypodermic needle stuck in her leg inside a Manayunk home.

The girl was treated for an accidental overdose at Chestnut Hill Hospital and remained at the hospital in stable condition Friday, Philadelphia police said.

The girl's father, Steven Welsh, 35, of the 200 block of Green Lane, was charged with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of a child, simple assault, and reckless endangerment. The baby lived with her father at times, and lived at other times with her mother at a different address, a police Special Victims Unit supervisor said Friday.

Last year, Welsh was charged with driving under the influence but was accepted into a diversionary program, according to court records. The records indicate he has a court date related to that case later this month.

The needle incident occurred around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 200 block of Green Lane. Police and medics responding to the scene found the child unresponsive and administered a dose of Narcan, which revived her, police said.

It was not immediately clear whether the needle was filled with heroin or some mix of heroin and other drugs, police said.

Narcan is used to reverse the effects of opioid overdoses.

The only other person in the house was the girl's grandfather, who lives there, police said Friday. They said no additional drugs were found in the house.

The case remained under investigation by the Special Victims Unit, police said.