Raymond Finney Jr., 25, had been missing for two days when his father and aunt were found shot to death in their Kensington home last month.

The search for Finney came to an end last week when his body was found in the Schuylkill.  Police say they believe he committed suicide, and they are calling his brother Leonard a "person of interest" in the father's and aunt's slayings.

On May 26, Raymond Jr. was reported missing to police. His family had not seen him that day after he left for his job as a city sanitation worker, and a passerby found his backpack and cellphone near the Schuylkill at 24th and Walnut Streets.

On May 28, his mother, Tasmara McLaughlin of Brewerytown, went looking for him at the Kensington home where he lived with his father and aunt.

In the rowhouse on the 1900 block of East Clearfield Street, she found Raymond Finney Sr., 48, dead in an upstairs hallway and his sister Florence "Tina" Pompey, 53, dead in her second-floor bedroom. She ran out screaming.

Police said Raymond Sr. had been shot once in the head and once in the stomach. Pompey had been shot once in the head. Medics pronounced both dead at the scene at 9:05 a.m.

Homicide Capt. James Clark said there was no sign of forced entry at the home.

While Raymond Jr. was missing, McLaughlin was frantic. "I can't think about nothing but where is my son?" she said before his body was found. "That's what I think about every morning."

On the afternoon of June 9, police pulled the body of a man from the Schuylkill in Grays Ferry. Authorities this week identified him as Raymond Jr., nicknamed "Scooter."

Clark said police believe he committed suicide.  The Medical Examiner's Office said the cause and manner of death were yet to be determined.

"Now, my baby is gone," McLaughlin said Wednesday.

Raymond Jr. had three children, ages 5 months and 2 and 4 years, who live with their mother in South Philadelphia, McLaughlin said, adding that the couple remained friends after their breakup.

"He was a proud daddy of all three of his babies," she said.

Clark said police believe Leonard shot his father to death because he thought Raymond Sr. caused his other son to commit suicide. They believe Pompey was shot because she was a witness, Clark said.

Police questioned Leonard in the shooting deaths after he was taken into custody June 2 on an alleged parole violation in a robbery case. Clark said police are building a case against him.

McLaughlin insists Leonard had nothing to do with his father's and aunt's deaths.

She said Leonard, who lived with her in Brewerytown, "loved his aunt, never had no fights, scuffles, nothing. He never would have hurt his father or his aunt."

McLaughlin also had a 17-year-old son with Raymond Sr. She and Raymond Sr. ended their relationship about 17 years ago, she said.

Charmaine Dupree, one of Raymond Sr.'s other sisters, said Thursday that she had a feeling that Leonard might have killed his father and aunt.

"Deep in my heart, I really think so," Dupree said. She said Leonard, who at one time also lived in the Kensington house, was angry at Pompey for having thrown him out and allowing Raymond Jr. to stay.

As for her slain siblings, Dupree said: "My sister and my brother, they were beautiful people."