1. The Philadelphia Police Department should develop a manual for conducting officer involved shooting investigations from a criminal standpoint and establish a single unit to investigate all deadly force incidents.
2. All police officers should be trained in the use electronic control weapons, commonly called Tasers, and be required to carry them on duty. Currently, only officers with crisis intervention training can carry electronic control weapons. The report says this requirement "conflates the two tactical approaches and limits the distribution of less-lethal tools" to officers.
3. The Philadelphia Police Department should develop a standard training module on the use of deadly force and require all sworn personnel to complete the training on an annual basis.
4. The Philadelphia Police Department should establish a policy to video and audio record interviews of all critical witnesses and suspects in the course of an officer involved shooting investigation.
5. The Philadelphia Police Department should integrate the two boards that review officer involved shootings into one and it should include at least one voting citizen member.