ORLANDO, Fla. - Skeletal remains found in the woods are of the Florida 3-year-old who has been missing since June, but they do not reveal clues about how she died, a county medical examiner said yesterday.

A utility worker reported stumbling upon the remains last week, less than a half-mile from where the girl lived. DNA tests confirm that the remains match Caylee Anthony's genetic profile, said the medical examiner, Jan Garavaglia.

Caylee's mother, Casey Anthony, 22, was indicted in October on first-degree murder and other charges, even though no body was found. She has insisted that she left the girl with a baby sitter in June, but she did not report her missing until July.

It took authorities several days to analyze the remains, and some tests are still being completed. Some of the bones were as small as pebbles and were scattered, officials said.

The bone fragments did not reveal any trauma before death, Garavaglia said, but exactly what happened to the girl remains a mystery.

"Bottom line is, folks, no child should have to go through this," Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary said.

Members of a search team said they did not check the wooded area sooner because it was submerged in water.

Beary said his department was investigating reports that the utility worker who called in the tip leading to the discovery of the remains had tried several times in August to call in his suspicion about a bag in the area.

"If we missed a window of opportunity, we don't know," he said, adding that the claim was being reviewed.

Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, was with her at the Orange County Jail shortly after she heard the news from a jail chaplain, said Todd Black, a spokesman for the lawyer.

She was notified 15 minutes before the news conference about the positive identification. Black said he would not comment on her reaction.

The Orange County utility worker, Roy Kronk, identified himself at a news conference. He said he had contacted the county sheriff's office in August to report that he had seen "something suspicious, a bag, in the same area."

Reading from a statement, he said he was cooperating with the sheriff's office and FBI and would not discuss details with reporters.

David Evans, his lawyer, said Kronk was not involved in the girl's disappearance and was "strictly . . . a concerned citizen."