A Los Angeles couple cleared by a Qatar court of charges in connection with the death of their 8-year-old daughter will be allowed to leave Wednesday for the United States, the American ambassador said. Charges had been dismissed Sunday against Matthew and Grace Huang, but hours later they were stopped at the airport.

The ambassador, Dana Shell Smith, tweeted that she had been informed by the Qatari government that the way had been cleared for the pair to fly home. The couple's ordeal began with the January 2013 death of their daughter Gloria, who was born in Ghana. The Huangs' attorneys said the child suffered from an eating disorder, but prosecutors maintained that she had been deliberately starved. - AP