WASHINGTON - President Obama says that "nothing improper" happened in the case of a U.S. Rep Joe Sestak, who claims the administration offered him a job to drop his primary challenge against Sen. Arlen Specter.
At a news conference yesterday, Obama said his administration would provide a full accounting shortly but declined to elaborate.
Sestak, the Democrat from Delaware County, said that he was offered a job if he abandoned his Senate bid. Republicans and some Democrats have called for an explanation from the White House.
Last week, Sestak defeated Specter, who has served in the Senate for 30 years..
Sestak told reporters that someone from the White House on Wednesday telephoned his brother Richard, a lawyer for his campaign, to discuss the matter. Sestak offered no other details.