Pop Quiz 'A Christmas Carol'
This week marks the anniversary of the publication of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," in 1843. What do you know about the holiday classic?
This week marks the anniversary of the publication of Charles Dickens'
"A Christmas Carol," in 1843. What do you know about the holiday classic?
1. How does the story begin?
a. "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times..."
b. "There is a wisdom of the head, and ... a wisdom of the heart."
c. "Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that."
d. "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another."
2. The story's first "Bah! Humbug!" is directed at whom?
a. Scrooge's clerk.
b. Scrooge's nephew.
c. Two visitors to Scrooge's counting house who were seeking donations for the poor.
d. Jacob Marley, when his face appeared on a door knocker.
3. True or false: The name of the dog in the book Marley & Me by John Grogan was taken from a character in Dickens' ghost story.
4. When the first ghost visited, Scrooge was at home by the fire, preparing to eat dinner. What was on the menu?
a. Shepherd's pie.
b. Fish and chips.
c. Cold roast.
5. Who was Scrooge's fellow apprentice when the pair worked for "Old Fezziwig"?
a. Dick Wilkins.
b. Jack Robinson.
c. Roger Coverley.
d. Percival Weasley.
6. What was the name of Scrooge's sister?
7. From the folds of its robe, the Ghost of Christmas Present showed Scrooge two children, "wretched, abject, frightful, hideous, miserable." What were their names?
a. Ignorance and Want.
b. Malice and Greed.
c. Sin and Pride.
d. Hatred and Selfishness.
8. What was
the name of Scrooge's girlfriend?
9. She was
a sister of
10. The story ends with
a. "Every time
a bell rings,
an angel gets
b. "Christmas Day is in our grasp so long
as we have hands to clasp."
c. "God bless
us, every one."
d. "It was always said
of him that
he knew how
to keep Christmas well..."