Who uses tanning parlors?
Researchers have identified the four types of people who use tanning parlors. The study should help doctors . . . to discourage indoor tanning.
. . . Four types of tanners were identified: special event (tan numerous times over a short period associated with a special event. . .); spontaneous or mood (non-regular tanners with spontaneous patterns strongly influenced by mood); regular year-round (tan weekly or biweekly); and mixed (have both regular tanning periods and shorter periods associated with special events).
. . . "The results of this study emphasize the fact that 'one size fits all' does not apply when it comes to indoor tanning," the authors conclude. "By labeling tanners by behavioral type and adjusting our interactions based on those types, we will have a more accurate picture of our patients and be more effective in our health-care messages."
- "Health with Jim Ritter" at http://blogs.suntimes.com
Lawsuit filed against city cell-phone ban.
A class-action lawsuit was filed in federal court [last week], demanding refunds for people ticketed under the city of Chicago's hand-held-cell-phone ban.
. . . Chicago Police aren't being that aggressive about enforcing the ban, but still, a $50 to $200 fine is not exactly chump change.
Lawyer Blake Horwitz says motorists deserve refunds because of the city's failure to post signs alerting them to the ban.. . .
- "The Ride with Monifa Thomas" at http://blogs.suntimes.com
Will Smith on Hitler.
Will Smith actually raised an interesting question about Hitler that he's getting whacked for - unfairly, it seems to me - by one Jewish group. In an interview with a Scottish newspaper, Smith makes a point in passing that he thinks everyone wants to do the right thing. . . . He believes everyone can have their behavior shifted because nobody wants to be evil:
"Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'Let me do the most evil thing I can do today,' " said Will. "I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good'. Stuff like that just needs reprogramming.
"I wake up every day full of hope, positive that every day is going to be better than yesterday. And I'm looking to infect people with my positivity. I think I can start an epidemic.". . .
- Religion Blog at http://religion.beloblog.com
Top Comedic News Stories of 2007.
3. Paris Hilton was offered community service, but the community declined.
2. Dick Cheney's chief of staff, Scooter Libby, was fined a quarter million dollars which was paid for by the Scooter Libby Defense Fund, which you and I know as Halliburton.
1. Idaho Republican Sen. Larry Craig isn't gay and didn't quit. . . . Should have gone with the Restless Leg Syndrome defense.
- Will Durst on the Huffington Post at http://www.236.com/blog