* Reggie White, defensive end. If White
is not the greatest defensive lineman of all time, he's among the top 5.
* Mike Pitts, defensive tackle. Rotated
regularly with Mike Golic, so neither made the Pro Bowl that season. But the three other Eagles regular linemen did - and paid for Pitts and Golic to join them in Hawaii.
* Jerome Brown, defensive tackle. Had
nine sacks to make his second consecutive Pro Bowl team that season. Died in a car accident in June '92.
* Clyde Simmons, defensive end. The
"other" defensive end of the unit, Simmons had 13 sacks in 1991 and 19 the following season.
* Seth Joyner, linebacker. Named the
team's defensive MVP by his fellow players.
* Byron Evans, linebacker. Was the
on-field brains of the defense as the player responsible for calling the signals.
* William Thomas, linebacker. Took
over as a rookie in the ninth game and stayed in the Birds defense for a decade.
* Ben Smith, cornerback. Was having a
solid season until he injured his knee in Week 11. Replaced by Izel Jenkins, with Otis Smith also seeing extensive time.
* Eric Allen, cornerback. Led the team
with five interceptions and, in 1991, started a string of five consecutive Pro Bowl appointments.
* Andre Waters, strong safety.
Nicknamed "Dirty" Waters because he often straddled the line of clean play.
* Wes Hopkins, free safety.Opposing
receivers crossed the middle at their own peril with Hopkins and Waters patrolling the safety positions.
John Booty, CB/S;
Britt Hager, LB;
Andy Harmon, DE;