Makes about 36 cookies
1 pound sweet butter, softened
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brandy
4 cups flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted (additional for topping finished cookies)
1/2 cups ground walnuts
36 whole cloves
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. In an electric mixer, whip butter until fluffy (15-20 minutes). Add ½ cup sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, and brandy. Mix until incorporated.
3. Add flour and baking powder slowly, until dough can be handled without sticking and is very soft. Shape into pinky-size crescents and place on ungreased baking sheets, about 1½ inches apart. Flatten slightly. Insert whole clove into center of each cookie
4. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes .
5. Remove cookies from hot baking sheets and place on a cool baking sheet dusted with powdered sugar.
6. Sprinkle tops of cookies with more powdered sugar. Allow them to cool.
Per cookie: 163 calories; 2 grams protein; 13 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams sugar; 12 grams fat; 39 milligrams cholesterol; 74 milligrams sodium; trace dietary fiber.