Makes about 3 dozen rugelach
For the pastry:
1 cup butter
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sifted flour
For the filling:
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup currants
11/4 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
For the glaze:
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
1. Cream butter and cream cheese until blended. Add flour and salt.
2. When dough is smooth, flour your hands and divide dough into three parts, forming each into a round, 1-inch-thick disk.
3. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight. Roll each disk out into a larger round, about 10 inches across.
4. Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Brush each disk with one third of the melted butter. Spread one third of sugar mixture, then one third of the chopped nuts and one third of the currants on each round.
5. Run a rolling pin across the tops to press topping into dough. Slice the rounds in 12 pie-shaped wedges, and beginning at the wide end, roll each wedge up to its point, forming a crescent horn. Place each horn with its point down onto a cookie sheet covered in tin foil. Brush each horn with mix of yolk and water.
6. Cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Per serving: 144 calories; 2 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams sugar; 11 grams fat; 29 milligrams cholesterol; 93 milligrams sodium; 1 gram dietary fiber.