Makes 8-10 servings
For the topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
2 to 3 (depending on size) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 to 3 pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of fine sea salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-12 Pyrex glass casserole.
2. Make the topping: Combine the flour, oats, sugars, salt, and spice in a large mixing bowl. Mix briefly with your hands just to incorporate. Add the cold butter, and toss until it is coated with the dry ingredients. Then use your fingertips to mash, rub, and press everything together to create moist crumbs. Sprinkle the vanilla extract, then mix and press again. When you squeeze a handful of the topping together and it holds its shape, it is properly mixed. Pinch the topping into bits and morsels, cover the bowl, and refrigerate.
3. Wash, peel, and remove the cores of the apples and pears. Then slice into ½-inch chunks. Add them to a large mixing bowl, and toss with cranberries, sugar, salt, citrus zest, and flour.
4. Spoon the fruit mixture into the buttered casserole dish. Remove the topping from the refrigerator and scatter it over the fruit, pressing it into the fruit gently.
5. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling up around the topping, and the topping is golden brown. Remove from oven, and let sit until cool enough to eat.