Makes 1 serving
1 ounce gin
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/4 ounce simple syrup (see NOTE)
4 or 5 ounces brut champagne
Twist of lemon peel, for garnish
1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
2. Add the gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
3. Shake vigorously for at least 30 seconds, then strain into a champagne flute.
4. Top with the champagne as needed, and garnish with the twist of lemon peel.
NOTE: To make simple syrup, combine 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a slow rolling boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof container and let cool to room temperature. Cover tightly and refrigerate until chilled through; store indefinitely.
Per serving: 199 calories, 0 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 0 g dietary fiber, 20 g sugar
- Adapted from The Bubbly Bar, by Maria C. Hunt (Clarkson Potter, 2009).