2 tablespoons sunflower oil
8 rashers smoked streaky bacon, snipped into pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
1 ounce dark muscovado sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
31/2 fluid ounces cider vinegar
2 teaspoons mustard powder
18 ounces tomato puree
1 shot espresso
14-ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
14-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
6 slices white farmhouse bread
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan or casserole dish over high heat. Add the bacon and cook for about 8 minutes until just starting to crisp.
2. Tip in the onion and cook gently for five minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, followed by the sugar and molasses, and stir until dissolved.
3. Stir in the vinegar, mustard powder, tomato puree, and espresso. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened.
4. Tip in the drained beans and cook gently 15 to 20 minutes. Add a little water if the sauce becomes too thick, taste and season.
5. Toast the bread and spread with butter, then spoon the beans on top.
Per serving: 580 calories, 30 grams protein, 41 grams carbohydrates, 14 grams sugar, 33 grams fat, 15 milligrams cholesterol, 610 milligrams sodium, 7 grams dietary fiber.
- Posh Toast (Quadrille, 2015)